Princess Bloom is the Fairy of the Dragon Flame. She is Prince Sky's fiancée, the second princess of Domino and its Guardian Fairy. She is one of the founding members of the Winx Club, where she is recognized as the leader of their group, which also signifies her status as the central protagonist of the Winx Club series as a whole. She is also an alumna of the Alfea College for Fairies as of The Secret of the Lost Kingdom.
- 1 Appearance
- 2 Personality
- 3 Magical Abilities
- 4 Curiosities
- 5 Transformation Sequences
- 6 Etymology
- 7 Trivia
- 8 References
Bloom is a medium-skinned girl with waist-length orange-red hair with a single small hair strand sticking up (until Season 4) and large cyan eyes.
- In Season 1, Bloom's civilian outfit consists of a teal, sleeveless cropped sweatshirt with dark, blue trim and a pale yellow short-sleeved shirt underneath. She also wears blue slightly flared jeans that have stars on the bottom of the legs. Her shoes are yellow wedge-sandals with straps over the instep.
- In Season 2 - Season 3, Bloom's civilian outfit consists of a blue and white striped midriff top with small pink hearts and a ruffly denim skirt. She also wears a pink armband on her left arm and over-the-knee blue socks. Her shoes are dark blue platform boots with white tips and pink lace.
- In Season 4, Bloom's hair is now knee-length with her bangs uneven to the right. She wears a pink ruffle sleeve top with white, soft pink, and blue polka-dots, yellow trim, and a blue heart emblem with a blue puffy skirt and a gold belt with a pink and white polka-dot bow. Her shoes are heels (same as the top) with a yellow toe ribbon and a blue ankle cover. She also wears pink bangle bracelets.
- In Season 5, Bloom wears a pink top with blue hearts in the right corner and a strap on her left shoulder, off-the-shoulder sleeve on her right arm, and a blue bow on the strap. She also sports a light blue sleeveless midriff top with pink buttons over the pink top and a blue ruffled mini-skirt. She accessorizes with two blue beaded necklaces, two blue bangles, and pink over-the-knee socks. Her shoes are light blue high-heeled boots with blue heels and blue ribbons wrapped around her leg and tying on the back her hamstring. Her hair is knee-length and her bangs are parted mostly to the right and cheek length, but the other side is pulled behind her ear with a short piece hanging down and is decorated with a light blue barrette on the right side of her head.
- In Season 6, Bloom wears a pale blue collared-top under a light pink sweater with black buttons and accents, also there is a hot pink bow near the collar of the under-shirt. She also wears a light grey mini-skirt with thin, pale pink plaid designs and light pink tights with grey diamonds. Her shoes are dark grey heels with pale blue socks that has hot pink lining. Her hair is in a braid with a pink hair-bow tying it at the top and a pink bow on the bottom, also her bangs are in front and spread out around her forehead.
- In Season 7, she wears a pink shirt with blue and pink stripes under a blue vest with a pink skirt above her knees and blue socks. She wears dark blue colored socks and pink and white colored shoes on high heels. Her hair is long, arranged in a ponytail similar to her Sirenix transformation with a pale pink ribbon with blue and pink stripes similar to her blouse.
- In Season 8, Bloom's hair is worn down (just like her original form from Season 1-4), but her bangs are much more side-swept and curly to the right side. She wears a multi-layer dress similar to her Enchantix, but in shades and layers of pale blue and white. There are several ruffles at the end of each layer, embroidery decorations throughout the dress and two small brown bows at the end of the penultimate layer. She wears a blue coat over her dress and blue leggings similar to her Sirenix and Bloomix with a pale blue flower pattern. She wears brown country-style boots at the calf with various ruffle decorations. She wears a bracelet on her left wrist and a necklace with a pendant in the shape of a pink heart.
World of Winx
Bloom's civilian attire in both seasons is characterized by a short-sleeved shirt with a checkered pattern formed by pink, light pink and dark gray rhombuses with a dark gray bottom border. She is wearing a pink ruffled skirt with a light pink border and dark gray leggings with various sparks and jewelry. She wears pink shoes with white polka dots and dark gray socks looser at the heel. On her left arm she wears a pink bracelet and a silver watch. Occasionally she is seen wearing a dark gray fuzzy bag with a black strap attached to the bag by pink hooks.
As the keeper of the Dragon Flame, many of Bloom's Fairy Forms maintain a theme of fire. Blue stands out as the primary color of a majority of her forms, with pinks and purples acting as accents.
Bloom started off as an insecure girl at the beginning of the series because of her ignorance of her true origins and her strange, yet surprisingly potent powers. Later on, as she learned more about magic and herself, she grew increasingly curious about her past and whom her biological parents are. An escapist by nature, she has a tendency to run away when things get too hard or confusing for her, and can also be impatient and stubborn, with a short temper. Bloom was also impulsive at times, which led to some very bad experiences for both her and her friends. Her greatest strength and greatest weakness was her status as the guardian of the Dragon's Flame. While the Dragon Flame made her arguably the most powerful fairy in the Magic Dimension, it also consistently drew numerous enemies to her such as the Trix, Darkar, Valtor, and the Ancestral Witches.
Despite her flaws, Bloom still has a heart of gold. She cares for all of her friends, allies, and families (both adopted and biological) deeply, and is always willing to help and fight for a good cause. She has shown herself to be selfless, caring, brave and a true capable leader. Bloom is tough when needed to be and always lends a helping hand to people in need.
While in this form, she is very negative who does very bad deeds and obeys Lord Darkar loyally. In this form, Bloom is the absolute opposite of herself: she becomes heartless, abusive, unwilling, mean, selfish, manipulative, mischievous, cruel and uncaring. To name an example of her obedience to Darkar, she steals the Codex fragment from Alfea for Darkar. She made other appearances in the last three episodes of Season 2 when Darkar discovered that he needed the powers of light and darkness to claim the Ultimate Power of Relix.
Thanks to Sky confessing his deep love for her, Bloom manages to use her healing power on everyone affected by Darkar's magic, including herself, thus freeing herself from Darkar's control and returning to normal. She returns the Ultimate Power to Relix and joins her friends in a Charmix Convergence that destroys Lord Darkar and his fortress.
- Main article: Dragon's Flame
Bloom, as Fairy of the Dragon Flame, has fire-based powers where her spells can manifest in the form of fire dragons, fireballs, fire beams, firestorms and explosions of varying intensities. She also has displayed fire-based defensive spells such as firewalls and flame shields. Bloom can spontaneously generate and manipulate heat. While at the beginning of the series she mainly uses her powers to bombard her opponents with fireballs in varying intensity and size, she soon learns to ignite large wildfires and control dangerous infernos by thought. Other related abilities are throwing blasts of heat energy, using fire as shields and force fields, causing objects to become soft and melt, and using fire to fly. She can summon the essence of the Great Dragon or a fire dragon to damage her target.Bloom also knows some basic, first-level spells that all fairies can use, such as telekinesis, transmuting objects, and fixing minor messes.
The intensity and strength of Bloom's magic is proportional to her emotional state where her powers are at their strongest when she gets angry as shown in "A Magix Christmas" where she summoned a fire dragon after the Trix ruined her Christmas celebration. In the most intense situations, she can unleash huge bursts of energy that can de-transform her allies and herself and even damage advanced maсhinery as shown in "Betrayed!" and "Bloom Tested". Various aspects of her individual powers are emotionally-controlled such as her telekinesis being fueled by her calmness (once demonstrated in her sleep), her bravery employing her offensive spells, her depressed and non-confident moments occasionally block her powers, and when she is scared or panicky she deploys defensive spells. She is considered one of the strongest and most powerful fairies in existence as her power is derived from the Great Dragon's Flame itself. She is also able to freely share her powers with other living beings.
She has been shown to have empathetic abilities like seeing people's true natures. She also has a mental connection with her elder sister Daphne which is only shown while she was in her spirit form (after Daphne regained her body this connection was most likely unnecessary). Daphne is able to contact Bloom, usually in her sleep as a dream but sometimes she appears to her in a vision (as shown in Season 5). Bloom was also able to sense Valtor whose power was of the same nature. Aside from her empathic powers, Bloom like all fairies and witches can sense different magic trails but on a much stronger level as she is able to bypass cloaking spells along with being of very few beings in the entire magic universe capable of sensing across other magic dimensions. This sensory power includes the very life force of magical creatures as she was able to sense that the pixies were in another dimension despite not being able to sense their magic alone. She also displays the ability to project her spiritual flame into the minds of others allowing her to sense their essence but at the risk of her physical body being harmed.
Dark Bloom has the same powers that Bloom had by that moment, although mixed with dark magic. She displayed the basic first-level skill of levitation when turning Timmy upside down in midair. Her magical aura transformed from fiery orange to dark purple. Bloom also seemed to have better reflexes than her normal self, as she dodges all her friends' attacks with ease. In fact, none of the other Winx girls abilities worked on her. Even her bonded Pixie's kiss was unable to break Darkar's spell for long.
World of Winx
Bloom retains her fire-based powers which allow her to create and manipulate all forms of fire and heat. Opting for a more offensive approach, Bloom often has her powers manifest as fireballs and sparks that vary in size and intensity depending on what the situation calls for. She can also channel her fire into other objects to raise their temperatures to dangerously high levels, which she does so primarily to metal objects like the Winxmobile in Season 1 and the Eiffel Tower in Season 2, since metal is the perfect conductor to her heat.
Bloom can also use her fire to "burn away" the strength of her opponents as she does so against the Crocodile Man on multiple occasions. This is even a specialty of hers granted by her Dreamix powers. She can also use this ability for more defensive capabilities by using fiery shields that disappear after burning away incoming attacks.
Additionally, it is revealed in the episode "Neverland" that the Winx's powers, Bloom's included, are generated from dreams and thus, are closely linked with the World of Dreams. According to the World's Spirit, the Winx will lose their fairy powers should the World of Dreams fall into ruin.
Uses of Magic
- Expedio Catenam - Used to unlock a padlock in "Race Against Time."
- Contabeish morbi egrotatun - Used to kill a plant in "Race Against Time."
- Mortifer fatalis silenti - Used to turn a plant into a monster in "Race Against Time."
- Medicor desiderium incolumis - Used to break the homesickness spell placed on the pixies in "Race Against Time."
- Exclamo - Used to create an ear-shaped passageway in the wall in which audio can be transmitted.
- Scarmax - Used to put Timmy’s socks and shoes on his hands.
- Exparar - Used to move Timmy out of her dorm.
- Beatus fortis subvertio (Hidoro calico conjungo (4Kids)) - Used to summon the Crystal of Power in "The Phoenix Revealed."
- Chrono Magic - Used to find out where Politea is via the Fairy Clock Room.
- Birthday: December 10
- Astrological Sign: Dragon
- Favorite Food: Pizza
- Favorite Color: Red
- Favorite Hobby: Reading books about fairy tales and magic!
- Ideal Boyfriend: Sky!
- Best Friend: Stella
- Favorite Movies: Romantic comedies
- Loves: Cooking cupcakes for my friends!
- Favorite Music: Pop
- Favorite Spell: Dragon Flame
- Main article: Inspirations and References
- Bloom is a character that was created from multiple sources of inspiration:
- Iginio Straffi, the creator of the Winx Club series, designed Bloom's story as a character who was raised by an adoptive family based on a girl he had dated in university named Antonella, who had herself been raised by an adoptive family and who desired to know who her biological parents were.
- Bloom's personality was inspired by Joanne Lee, Iginio Straffi's wife, as well as the Executive Producer for the Winx Club series.
- According to Iginio Straffi, Bloom's appearance was modeled on singer Britney Spears.
- Bloom being a fairy who was adopted by non-magical humans when she was a baby might have been inspired by the legends of changelings, who in many legends all over the world were believed to be fairy children left in the place of human children stolen by fairies.
- Bloom shares some similarities with these other fictional characters and might possibly have been inspired to some extent by them:
- Kal-El from DC Comics, who was given the human name of Clark Kent and who fights evil as a costumed superhero under the secret identity of Superman.
- Kal-El is the last survivor from his home world, Krypton, which was destroyed in when the planet exploded. Superman's biological parents, Jor-El and Lara Lor-Van, died in the disaster.
- Similarly, Bloom was the last survivor from her planet, Domino, which was destroyed when the Ancestral Witches attacked it. Bloom's biological parents, Oritel and Marion, disappeared during the disaster.
- Kal-El's biological parents saved him from their planet's destruction by placing him in a rocket when he was a still a baby and sent him to Earth.
- Bloom's biological elder sister, Daphne, saved her from her planet's destruction when she was still a baby by sending her to Earth through a magical portal.
- The rocket containing baby Kal-El was found by Jonathan and Martha Kent, a married couple of human farmers from the small town of Smallville, Kansas in the United States of America on Earth. Jonathan and Martha adopted Kal-El, named him Clark Kent, and raised him as their own son.
- Bloom was similarly found in a magical protective shield in a building on fire by Mike, a human firefighter, who adopted her together with his wife Vanessa, a human florist, and they raised her as their own daughter in the town of Gardenia, California, in the United States of America on Earth.
- As he grew up, Kal-El/Clark Kent developed super powers because, being a alien from planet Krypton whose sun is red, his body absorbs radiation from the yellow sun of planet Earth and transforms it into superhuman abilities.
- When Bloom grew up and she turned 16 years old, her magical powers started manifesting themselves, giving her magical superhuman abilities.
- When he grew up, Kal-El/Clark Kent adopted the secret identity of Superman, who wears a primarily blue-colored costume, to fight evil
- Similarly, when Bloom grew up, she became a fairy who transforms into a blue-colored fairy costume to fight evil.
- In the "Legacy" episodes of Superman: The Animated Series, Superman is captured and temporarily turned evil by Darkseid, the God of Evil who rules over the planet Apokolips and wants to conquer the universe
- Similarly, at the end of Season 2 episode 24, Bloom is captured and temporarily turned evil by Lord Darkar, the ancient deity of pure darkness and evil of the Winx Club universe
- Harry Potter from the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling:
- Harry's parents were killed when he was a baby by Lord Voldemort and lived as an ordinary boy with his aunt and uncle until he found out he was a wizard and joined the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.
- In the same way, Bloom's family disappeared when her kingdom was destroyed by the Ancestral Witches when she was a baby and she grew up with a family on Earth not knowing who she was and from where she came from until found out she was a Fairy when she met Stella and went to the Alfea School for Fairies in Magix.
- Both Harry and Bloom eventually defeat and cause the deaths of the ones because of whom they lost their parents.
- Harry's nemesis at school is Draco Malfoy, a cruel and very arrogant boy with very pale blond hair. Bloom's nemesis is Icy, a cruel and very arrogant girl with pale bluish white hair. Both Draco and Icy have sharp, pointed facial features.
- Fun enough, in the Italian dub of the Harry Potter movies, Bloom's voice actor (Letizia Ciampa) voices Hermione Granger, one of Harry's best friends.
- Jean Grey from Marvel Comics, especially as she appears in the Dark Phoenix Saga storyline:
- Jean Grey is a very powerful red-haired character and was the temporary vessel of the Phoenix Force, one of the oldest known cosmic entities of the Marvel Universe that represents life that has not yet been born and is an immortal, indestructible, and mutable manifestation of the prime universal force of life.
- Bloom similarly is a powerful red-haired character who is the vessel of the Dragon's Flame, which represents creation and is the source of all magic and life.
- Both Bloom and Jean at one point became evil. Bloom was turned into Dark Bloom by Darkar just like Jean Grey, as the Phoenix, was turned into the Dark Phoenix by Mastermind and the Hellfire Club.
- The scene where Bloom heals herself from Darkar's spell and reverts back to her normal self from her Dark Bloom form after Sky speaks to her is similar to how Jean Grey temporarily reverts back to her normal self from her Dark Phoenix form after her boyfriend Scott Summers/Cyclops confronts her in "The Dark Phoenix Saga - Part III: The Dark Phoenix" of X-Men: The Animated Series.
- Daenerys Targaryen from the A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin:
- Daenerys is a dragon princess who comes from House Targaryen, an ancient dynasty closely associated with dragons and who were said to have dragon blood and to be able to control dragons. Shortly before the birth of Daenerys, her father, Aerys II Targaryen, the Mad King of the Seven Kingdoms, was overthrown and killed in a rebellion and most her family was killed as well. Her mother Queen Rhaella died while giving birth to her. Daenerys and her brother Viserys Targaryen then spent most of their lives in exile and after the death of Viserys, Daenerys becomes the last member of her family to still be alive and one of her greatest desires is to reconquer her family's kingdom.
- Bloom is a dragon princess who comes from the dynasty of an ancient kingdom. The dynasty she belongs to is closely associated with the Great Dragon and its heirs possess a part of the Dragon's powers. When Bloom was a baby her kingdom was destroyed and her parents disappeared while her sister was "killed". She lived in exile on Earth. Her greatest desire was to find her parents until she finally restored her kingdom and saved her whole family.
- The theme of A Song of Ice and Fire is considered by some of its fans to be a war of Ice against Fire. Similarly, the theme of the show in Season 1 is a fight of Fire, represented by Bloom, against Ice, represented by Icy.
- Coincidentally, Bloom and her share the same Italian voice actress (Letizia Ciampa).
- Dorothy Gale from the 1939 movie adaptation of The Wizard of Oz:
- The design of Bloom's Believix dress and her two hair braids in her Believix form appears to have been inspired by the dress of Dorothy from the 1939 The Wizard of Oz movie.
- Kal-El from DC Comics, who was given the human name of Clark Kent and who fights evil as a costumed superhero under the secret identity of Superman.
- Bloom's name is possibly a reference to the fact that she discovers her powers and starts blooming from a normal human girl into a fairy, while the other fairies already knew about their powers and what they would become since they were kids. In that sense, she is a "late bloomer."
- Despite the age difference, Bloom's original sketch is relatively the same as today.
- Bloom was the one who came up with the name "Winx Club."
- This is further explained Issue 3 of the Winx Club Comic Series, as Bloom was inspired by some passing butterflies and their wings. Originally, the name was going to be "Wings Club" as proposed by Stella, but then Bloom drew in butterfly wings at the end in place of the "g" and "s" to resemble an "x" to keep the butterfly theme; creating the name "Winx."
- This is also referenced in the World of Winx episode "Stylist Wanted" when Stella decides to give their new power the name "Dreamix."
- In the original version, Bloom is the third youngest of the group after Tecna (second youngest) and Roxy (youngest).
- Bloom is an artist like Helia.
- In an early and outdated character bio, Bloom's surname was suggested to be Peters. (Tecna's bio from the same time also had an inaccuracy, saying that she was half-android.) Peters may be her adoptive parents' surname.
- Eventually, the surname ended up becoming Bloom and her adoptive parents' last names in Fate: The Winx Saga.
- Bloom's opposite is Icy as Bloom is warm and compassionate while Icy is cold and cruel. This is better reflected in each of their powers: Bloom's fire to Icy's ice.
- This still holds up somewhat in 4Kids canon as, in one promo for the show, it is said that Icy's powers come from dead planets while Bloom still retains the Dragon's Flame: the fire responsible for all magical life.
- According to Darkar in the Cinélume version, Bloom is the natural consort of Darkar as Dark Bloom possesses the power of the Dragon's Flame and the Phoenix possesses the Shadow Fire, the complete opposite of the Dragon's Flame.
- Bloom tends to be seen together with Stella and Flora more than the other girls, especially in Winx products.
- Bloom, so far, has the second most episode appearances, after Stella, including a cameo.
- However, Bloom is seen the most out of all the other Winx.
- Bloom is the only Winx whose Season 1 civilian outfit has been seen in the new animation style.
- Both Daphne and Bloom had their power stolen by a villain and with the help of each other they got both their confidences and power back
- In "The Witches' Downfall", Daphne helps Bloom regain her confidence and power which was stolen by the Trix in which they thought that they took the Dragon's Flame and Bloom's power was lost, forever.
- In "Inspiration of Sirenix", Bloom and the Winx help Daphne regain her power and confidence back since Tritannus and the Trix stole it.
- In "Professor Avalon's Secret", Bloom states her favorite color is purple.
- Bloom is the only Winx girl whose Charmix spells are all unnamed. In fact, she uses them the least of the Winx.
- Bloom is the first Winx to turn evil as shown in Season 2.
- The second one was Roxy in "Nebula" when she was possessed by Nebula.
- The third one was Tecna as shown in "The Sirenix Book" when she was turned into a robot.
- The fourth was Musa as shown in "Secret of the Ruby Reef" when she was turned into a monster by Tritannus.
- The fifth was Stella as shown in "Queen for a Day".
- Bloom is one of the four fairies who did not receive their Enchantix in their own realm, although she earned it by saving her realm itself.
- Both Bloom and Flora have siblings, making them the only two Winx members to have them.
- Bloom has the most associated pets among the Winx.
- Until Roxy was introduced in the show, Bloom was the only Winx girl whose name did not end with "a".
- Sky and Bloom are the only ones to have known exes (Diaspro and Andy respectively).
- Just like Roxy can sense when Morgana is in danger, Bloom can sense when Daphne is in danger. It might be possible that magical characters can sense when their family members are in danger.
- Bloom and Flora are the most feminine of the Winx in their fairy forms. This is more evident by the fact they wear skirts, dresses and feminine footwear in most of their transformations.
- Bloom is the Winx member to have the most Lovix spells, which are four: Ice Flame, Ice Wall, Frozen Dart and Dragon Fire.
- Bloom was the last to bond with a Selkie and a Fairy Animal in the series.
- Bloom's Nickelodeon voice actress, Molly C. Quinn, also voices Lockette in Season 6.
- Bloom is the only Winx not to earn her Bloomix in "Bloomix Power" or "The Golden Auditorium".
- Bloom had many times where she tried to quit and leave Alfea to go back to her adoptive home in Gardenia which it shows in Seasons 1 and 3 (both mainly about Sky and Diaspro, with the latter unintentionally causing a rift then purposely causing it), and 6 (for realizing that she helped Selina by putting Flora in danger).
- Bloom had her orange hair changed into different shades of red in her Bloomix and Mythix forms.
- Bloom resembles Delores.
- Bloom and Stella are the only Winx to have a sleeveless uniform in Season 7.
- In World of Winx, Bloom's DuArt voice actress, Haven Paschall, also plays the role of the Narrator.
- Bloom has experienced up to two comic-exclusive romances and is tied with Aisha over it.
- Bloom loves reading, especially books about magic, and she like making lots of cakes, and huge pizzas that she can eat together with her girlfriends.
- As revealed in "Peter Pan's Son", Bloom's weakness is the fear of being alone.
- Bloom is the only character in World of Winx to break the 4th wall as she froze time and spoke directly to the audience on several occasions.
- Bloom is the only member of the Winx whose special Onyrix Power goes unused throughout the second season of World of Winx.
- Along with Stella, Bloom is one of the two Winx members to have her signature color (and sometimes pink) in every of her transformation.
- Onyrix is her first transformation in which she wears plum.
- As revealed in "Peter Pan's Son", Bloom also writes the lyrics for the band.
- Bloom's first DuArt voice actor, Haven Paschall, also voices Bea from Regal Academy, which is also another show created by Rainbow.
- In some couture artworks and the recent Winx dolls, people frequently mistake Bloom for Flora and vice-versa as the two look fairly similar at first glance.
- Rainbow presenta Il Segreto Del Regno Perduto. MYmovies.it. 2007.
- TIVÙ Iginio Straffi racconta le sue Winx ambientaliste. Wikipedia:IO Donna. July 9, 2011.