Don't Spoil the Party
Like the original series, it will be produced by Rainbow SpA, a studio co-owned by Iginio Straffi and Viacom. A British production company, Archery Pictures, is co-producing the show. The showrunner for Fate: The Winx Saga is Brian Young, who is also one of the executive producers together with Iginio Straffi, and Kris Thykier and Judy Counihan from Archery Pictures.
The first season will have six episodes, each one hour long. According to Iginio Straffi, Fate: The Winx Saga will be targeted towards young adults and will be "edgier and darker than they (the older audience of Winx Club) can imagine after being used to the colorful world of Winx."
“For the first time the popular six fairies will turn into real teenagers learning to hone their powers while living together in a magic boarding school.”
“Tucked away in a mystic parallel world, the Alfea School has trained Fairies in the magical arts for thousands of years, but it's never had a student quite like Bloom. Raised in the human world, she's headstrong, kind... and dangerous. Within her is a power that could destroy both worlds, or save them. To control it, she has to control her emotions. She's a teenager. How hard could that be?”
“The 6 episode series follows the coming-of-age journey of five unlikely friends attending Alfea, a magical boarding school in the Otherworld where they must learn to master their magical powers while navigating love, rivalry and the monsters that threaten their very existence”
On 17 September 2019, the Irish Examiner reported that filming for Fate: The Winx Saga had begun filming in Ireland. On the same day, the official Winx Club Instagram account announced the following cast members:
- Abigail Cowen as Bloom
- Hannah van der Westhuysen as Stella
- Precious Mustapha as Aisha
- Eliot Salt as Terra
- Elisha Applebaum as Musa
- Sadie Soverall as Beatrix
- Freddie Thorp as Riven
- Danny Griffin as Sky
- Theo Graham as Dane
- Jacob Dudman as Sam
- Josh Cowdery as Mike
- Eva Birthistle as Vanessa
- Eve Best as Headmistress Dowling
- Robert James-Collier as Silva
- Kate Fleetwood as Queen Luna
- Leah Minto as Kat
- Alex Macqueen as TBA
- Main article: Season 1 (Fate: The Winx Saga)
- Main article: Season 2 (Fate: The Winx Saga)
- Main article: Season 3 (Fate: The Winx Saga)
Iginio Straffi first talked about making a live-action adaptation back in 2011. As a cartoonist, Straffi had never worked on a live-action series. To get familiar with the medium, he produced the live-action show Club 57 with Nickelodeon before starting work on Fate.
On March 14, 2018, it was officially announced through a press release that a live-action young adult series based on Winx Club was set for an upcoming Netflix release.
On August 1, 2019, it was revealed that the show's working title will be Fate: The Winx Club Saga. It was also reported that the series will have a large budget with Brian Young as the show runner for the series and Judy Counihan set to be the executive producer.
On September 17, 2019, Entertainment.ie, Raidió Teilifís Éireann and the Irish Examiner reported that filming for Fate: The Winx Saga will start in September 2019 in Wicklow, Republic of Ireland.
Filming for the first season of the series ended in December 2019, and Cinesite was still working on the visual effects in April and May 2020 despite the ongoing global coronavirus pandemic.
In June 2020, What‘s On Netflix was reported that Netflix had given Fate: The Winx Saga an early season 2 renewal by Netflix.
- The title of the show, Fate, is also the Italian word for "Fairies".
- This will be the third Winx Club spin-off to be featured on Netflix; the first being PopPixie and the second being World of Winx.
- Fate: The Winx Saga is planned to hit a target audience of young adults.
- According to Straffi, referring to complaints by fans of the animated Winx Club show that that its newer seasons are childish, "the things we had to tone down in the animation have been emphasized in the live action—the relationships, the fights, the love stories."
- ↑ Every Netflix Original Series Coming in 2020. What‘s On Netflix. December 5, 2019.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Netflix's latest TV series, 'Fate: The Winx Saga', is now filming in Ireland. entertainment.ie. September 17, 2019.
- ↑ ‘Fate: The Winx Saga’: Abigail Cowen To Lead Ensemble Cast Of Netflix YA Series. Deadline. September 17, 2019.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 TV Kids Licensing Expo, Annecy & NATPE Budapest 2019. Worldscreen. May 23, 2019.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Netflix young-adult series begins filming in Wicklow. Irish Examiner.September 17, 2019.
- ↑ Winx Club official account. Instagram. September 17, 2019.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 Netflix’s ‘Fate: The Winx Saga’ Season 1: Everything We Know So Far. What’s on Netflix. July 2, 2020.
- ↑ 2011: Paramount strikes deal for Rainbow's Not Born To Be Gladiators. Screen International. May 13, 2011.
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 "Netflix to Adapt Winx Club Into a Live Action Young Adult Series". Netflix. 14 March 2018.
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Live-Action ‘Winx Club’ Series In Pre-Production. Discussing Film. July 31, 2019.
- ↑ Netflix young adult series Fate: The Winx Saga begins filming in Ireland. Raidió Teilifís Éireann. September 17, 2019.
- ↑ Get Cast in Da Vinci TV Series ‘Leonardo’ + More UK Projects. Backstage. October 14, 2019.
- ↑ Vikings spin-off Valhalla to be filmed for Netflix in Wicklow. The Irish Times. November 19, 2019.
- ↑ Abbey Cowen. Instagram. December 12, 2019.
- ↑ How the international VFX industry is continuing to work during the coronavirus shutdown. Screen International. April 7, 2020.
- ↑ VFX House Cinesite Makes Three Senior Appointments in London and Montreal. Variety. June 10, 2020.
- ↑ People on the Move: Exec Hirings, Exits & Academy Board Elections. Animation Magazine. June 10, 2020.
- ↑ A produção foi feita na Irlanda, então já podemos esperar cenários de tirar o fôlego. Soube também que a história das nossas fadinhas sensatas vai ser contada em 6 episódios e que temos a Abigail Cowen (ex-bruxinha de The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina) como a nossa Bloom. Netflix Brazil. Twitter. May 26, 2020.
- ↑ Sobre a data lançamento: eu acho que vocês vão ter que fazer um feitiço de acelerar o tempo ou fazer uma poção alguém abrir a boca e soltar mais spoilers, sei lá... Prometo que conto aqui quando souber!. Neftlix Brazil. Twitter. May 26, 2020.
- ↑ ‘Ozark,’ ‘Warrior Nun’ and ‘Fate: The Winx Saga’ Reportedly Renewed at Netflix. What‘s On Netflix. June 29, 2020.
- ↑ "‘Winx Club’: Netflix Adapting Italian Animated Franchise As YA Series". Deadline. March 14, 2018.
- Fate: The Winx Saga on Wikipedia