Headmistress Griffin is the headmistress (or "headwitchstress") of Cloud Tower as well as a professor there, a member of the Company of Light, and a considerably powerful witch. Although she started off as somewhat of an antagonist, indirectly encouraging the Trix in their power-struggle against the Winx, Griffin was eventually revealed to be a woman of sound moral principles, and aided the Winx numerous times in their fight against the forces of evil. Griffin is one of the three points of magic, the others being Faragonda and Saladin.
Headmistress Griffin is very tall with pale greenish white skin, and has a hooked nose. She has purple hair that is pulled up into a shape similar to that of pointy hats worn by fairy tale witches, with two lighter purple strands on either side. She also wears heavy make-up around her eyes.
In Season 8, Griffin has all light purple hair, less eye make-up, red lips, a pale skin tone no longer having a green tint.
She wears an ankle length dark purple dress with a high collar and dark purple shoes.
In Season 8, Griffin's dress is all now a shade of red, her gloves are shorter as well. The rest of her outfit is the same as her original design.
She wears a red hooded robe that covers her from head to toe. She also does not have her usual gloves on.
Griffin wore her hair down, it reaching her feet. She wore thin black square glasses, pale pink boot heels, a sliver belt with two chains at the side, and she has a dress on with on opening at the bottom and had two straps, and she wore gloves that matched her dress but did not cover her hands instead the ends had white cuffs.
As a crow, Griffin looks like a common crow and has red eyes.
Despite her stern, no-nonsense and seemingly indifferent demeanor, Griffin is genuinely a caring Headmistress who would defend her students willingly if threatened. She also has a humorous streak to her personality, when she joyfully stated that she would have defeated Faragonda and Saladin had Valtor's illusion spell continued in "The Wizards' Trap".
As the Headmistress of Cloud Tower, as well as one of the Three Points of Magic (alongside Faragonda and Saladin), Griffin is an extremely powerful witch whose level of strength is on par with the other heads of magical schools in Magix. Like all witches, her powers are derived from the negative aspects of magic, and the color of her magic varies between green and purple.
As demonstrated by her active participation in the Winx's fights against evil, Griffin was able to use her magic in a wide variety of ways: she could unleash powerful blasts capable of knocking down even the Dragon-Flame-empowered Trix sisters, create magical barriers, and shoot beams of energy. She could even converge her magic with Faragonda's (a fairy) to cast potent spells to destroy enemies - a feat that was almost impossible to achieve by normal standards, as witches and fairies were usually unable to converge their powers.
Uses of Magic
- Speed of the Cheetah
- Magic Eye
- Exclamo - Used to create an ear-shaped passageway in the wall in which voices can be transmitted.
- Liberato - She used it to free the captured Winx and Witches.
- Captus Obscurum - Used to attack Kerborg.
- Cupernus - Used in a convergence by her and Faragonda to shield the Winx from Darkar's attack.
- Demeritus - Used to send the Trix to the Detention Dimension.
- The Griffin is a legendary creature from Greek mythology depicted as having the body of a lion and the head, wings and front legs of an eagle. The griffin of Greek mythology was itself inspired by similar creatures from many other ancient mythologies, where they were thought to protect from evil, witchcraft and evil slander. In medieval folklore, its claws were said to have medicinal powers, and that its feathers the ability to give their sight back to the blind.
- Griffin's appearance is slightly similar to that of the evil fairy Maleficent, from the Disney animated movie Sleeping Beauty.
- Both Griffin and Maleficent have green skin.
- Both Griffin and Maleficent wear long, dark-colored outfits with paler mauve and purple parts.
- Maleficent's companion is a raven, and many cravens live in Cloud Tower, where Griffin is the Headmistress.
- Both Griffin's and Maleficent's powers manifest in the form of green light.
- Maleficent has a pair of horns on her head and Griffin's hair is shaped in a form which looks like a horn.
- The appearance of Griffin's residence at Cloud Tower' is loosely similar to and might have been inspired by Maleficent's castle. Similarly to Cloud Tower, Maleficent's castle is a tall and dark tower located on the top of a mountain.
- Griffin's appearance is also similar to that of the Wicked Witch of the West from 1939 movie adaptation of The Wizard of Oz.
- Both Griffin and the Wicked Witch of the West have green skin.
- Griffin's hairstyle also looks similar to the hat of the Wicked Witch of the West.
- Both Griffin and the Wicked Witch of the West have a big pointy nose.
- Both Griffin and the Wicked Witch of the West wear long dark dresses.
- Both Griffin and the Wicked Witch of the West use a crystal ball to see the whereabouts of people.
- The Wicked Witch of the West commands an army of crows, and many ravens live in Cloud Tower.
- Griffin's high collar might have been inspired by that of the Evil Queen from the Disney animated movie Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.
- The young Griffin looks slightly similar to Darcy.
- She is non-antagonistic in the Nickelodeon dub.
- She is a world expert on astrology and prophecy as revealed in "Professor Avalon's Secret".
- In the 4Kids version, it was stated that Griffin and Faragonda had both dated Saladin.
- In the 4Kids dub she elaborates on the reason for her defection from the ancestral witches (she wasn't willing to commit mass murder).
- In the 4Kids version, it was stated that Faragonda and Griffin were in the same grade level when they attended Alfea and Cloud Tower respectively.
- It is also mentioned that Ediltrude attended the Cloud Tower around the same time as Griffin.
- In the specials, she did not expel the Trix like she did originally, because the episode was cut in the specials.
- In the Nickelodeon dub, Griffin's English voice actress also voiced Ninfea, Marion (Season 6), Zulema, Belladonna, Niobe, Tecna's Guardian of Sirenix, and Nebula (Season 6).