Professor Griselda is the Head of Discipline at Alfea. She teaches self-defense.
Griselda is a brunette with brown eyes and straight hair in a short, sharp hairstyle and sharp glasses to match. She often wears a navy blue, smokey blue, or red sailor-type dress.
Griselda is the assistant headmistress and head of discipline at Alfea; as such, she is very gruff and strict towards students, but is generally kind to all the fairies at the school as she is shown to care immensely for them. She also has a deep faith in the Alfea fairies as it was seen during one of the Trix's attacks on the school and she told them that "fairies do not fear witches".
Griselda is checking in all the new students. Stella and Bloom are next and Griselda does not hide that she is surprised Stella is back after what had happened last year. She is then told that Bloom is Princess Varanda of Callisto. It takes her a bit to find the princess's name but Stella helps her and Griselda allows "Princess Varanda" entry. After that is dealt with, Griselda lays down that rules of the establishment and makes it a point to ensure Stella hears them and remembers them. She singles out Stella and when the young fairy asks why, Griselda reminds her that the potion laboratory is still inaccessible because of her antics.
She then introduces their headmistress, Faragonda who jokes about not being too spooked by Griselda. A joke Griselda was not amused by. She and Faragonda lead the new students into the main hall where the latter gives them encouragement and warns to stay away from the witches of Cloud Tower. Once all of the students find their rooms and meet their roommates, from a window overlooking the quad area, Griselda watches the Winx leave because she is still suspicious of Stella and "Varanda". So she keeps track of their time out of the school. When they return far past curfew, Griselda and Faragonda confront them. Griselda learns that Princess Varanda is really Bloom and she is from Earth. This angers Griselda as she had just been lied to and the fact that she is not even a fairy. Until Faragonda reminds Griselda that if she was not, the magical barrier would have stopped her. She eventually calms down when Faragonda says that Bloom's determination is a trait worthy of a true fairy, though still irritated that Bloom had lied. Once Faragonda excuses the girls, Grielda mentions that fairies had not existed on Earth for centuries, causing them to wonder who Bloom is.
As the teacher of self defense, Griselda is well-versed in defense magic.
As a fairy she may also know first-level spells all fairies can learn such as, telekinesis, transmuting objects, and fixing minor messes.
Uses of Magic
- Air Roll-ups: clears away the smoke after the Winx left the kitchen unattended. Used in Season 1 Episode 5.
- Barrier Absorb: absorbs attacks, and was used against Stella's Sunup Attack in Season 2 Episode 10.
- Reflect Shield: this spell reflects the opponent's attack, it was used against Stella's Full Power Sundown in Season 2 Episode 10.
- Fer Midex: a shield that blocks and holds attacks, used against Tecna, Flora and Amaryl's attacks. Used in Season 2 Episode 10.
- Enversio Cinosmab: absorbs attack, cancelled Musa's soundwave. Used in Season 2 Episode 10.
- Raivus Sombnus: a spell used alongside Faragonda to put the delinquents to sleep. Used in Season 2 Episode 13.
- Fire Extinguish: this was used to try and extinguish the fire set ablaze on the forest surrounding Alfea by Valtor but failed. Used in Season 3 Episode 25.
- Griselda might have been inspired by Professor Minerva McGonagall and Caretaker Argus Filch from the Harry Potter series.
- Griselda's strict but caring personality and her loyalty to Faragonda appear to have been inspired by Professor McGonagall
- Griselda's extremely strict measures as the Head of Discipline of Alfea appears to have been inspired by those of Argus Filch.
- The name "Griselda" is of German origin and means "dark battle" or "grey maiden warrior".
- Even though she is a minor character, she has appeared in every season and movie so far.
- Her Cinélume voice actress, Susan Glover, also voices Queen Nebula.
- In the 4kidz dub, Griselda says that she competed in the All Realm Magic Games and was the first female black belt gold medalist, 20 years prior to season 2 episode 10.
- It is unknown how Griselda is not as old as Faragonda as both were seen at Alfea when Faragonda was only a student.
- In "The Golden Butterfly," it is revealed that Griselda was Faragonda's roommate after Kalshara left Alfea.