Nickelodeon is a sister company to Rainbow S.r.l. through their parent corporation, Viacom. In 2010, Nickelodeon Animation Studio announced that it would co-develop four specials based on Winx Club as well as brand-new seasons of the show.
Since 2010, episodes of Winx Club have been written with Nickelodeon's American team. Series creator Iginio Straffi directed Nickelodeon's writers to help make the show multicultural. In a 2019 interview, Iginio Straffi talked about his near-decade of collaboration with Nickelodeon, saying that "the know-how of Rainbow and the know-how of Nickelodeon are very complementary; the sensibilities of the Americans, with our European touch."
The continued partnership between Rainbow and Nickelodeon on Winx Club has led to them developing new shows together, including Club 57 in 2019. Many former staff members from Winx Club moved to work on Club 57.
Nickelodeon was founded in 1977. It is usually simply called Nick and was originally named Pinwheel. It is owned by Viacom and is aimed at children from 7 to 17 years.
Involvement in Winx Club
In 2004, many of Nickelodeon's international networks (including Nickelodeon Germany, Nickelodeon Netherlands, Nickelodeon Nordic and Nickelodeon UK) began airing the series.
On September 2, 2010, Nickelodeon announced it would co-develop four hour-long Winx Club specials as well as the fifth and sixth seasons of the series. Production on these episodes was divided between Nickelodeon Animation Studio in the U.S. and Rainbow in Italy. Nickelodeon assembled a writing team for Winx, and some of the company's long-time staff members (including Janice Burgess and Adam Peltzman) wrote for the show. Elisa Rosselli of Rainbow worked with Nickelodeon's Peter Zizzo to write and produce many of the songs for these episodes.
According to Flora's voice actress Alejandra Reynoso, the episodes of the fifth and sixth seasons were animated to match Nickelodeon's English voice cast, unlike previous seasons that had been animated to match the Italian cast. Many of Nickelodeon's biggest stars voiced characters on Winx Club, including Ariana Grande as Diaspro, Liz Gillies as Daphne, Matt Shively as Sky, and Daniella Monet as Mitzi.
The existing episodes and two theatrical films were broadcast on Nickelodeon's flagship American channel and Nickelodeon channels worldwide. In English, the Nickelodeon cast dubbed the films and seasons 3-4 at Nickelodeon Burbank. On June 27, 2011, the first of four one-hour specials, created to summarize the first two seasons, aired, with the second set to air on August 1. Season three aired in full when the specials finished, with season four right after. The fifth, sixth, and seventh seasons premiered on Nickelodeon channels worldwide ahead of the Italian broadcasts.
During the sixth season, Rainbow shifted the show's target demographic and the show was moved from Rai Due to Rai Gulp in Italy, as well as from Nickelodeon to Nick Jr. in the United States. The seventh season was announced in a press release on April 8, 2014. In the article, series creator Iginio Straffi was quoted saying "It will be a privilege to partner once more with Nickelodeon on this."
In 2011, Viacom's Italian branch became a co-owner of Rainbow, purchasing 30% of the company for 62 million euros (US$83 million) and leaving the remaining 70% to Iginio Straffi. Viacom's Nickelodeon networks broadcast all of Rainbow's shows worldwide. Viacom coordinates production between Nickelodeon's American studios and Rainbow; in addition to Winx Club, Rainbow and Nickelodeon have collaborated on projects like the pilots "Crazy Block" and "My American Friend", and the 60-episode series Club 57. Production on the rebooted eighth season of Winx Club (which was completely restyled to target a preschool demographic) was focused primarily in Italy, with the American team remaining as consultants. Additionally, music by Nickelodeon Inc. continued to be used in this season. At the Licensing Expo 2019, Nickelodeon was again confirmed as the worldwide pay TV partner for the series.
In the United Kingdom, Winx Club is one of Nickelodeon UK's highest-rated and most popular shows. It increased Nickelodeon's ratings by 58% on its launch weekend in September 2011, coming in as the second-most-popular program on the entire channel and the most popular show with females aged 7-15. As of 2019, it is one of just two animated shows remaining on the network, airing multiple times a day due to high ratings.
Starting in 2011, Nickelodeon invested US$100 million in advertising for the series and began releasing Winx Club merchandise worldwide. Nickelodeon named JAKKS Pacific the show's primary merchandising partner in 2012. They have also released many Winx Club books under Nickelodeon's partner Random House as well as a video game called Winx Club: Magical Fairy Party.
Co-Productions With Rainbow S.r.l.
- Winx Club One Hour Specials (2011)
- Season 3 (dubbing only) (2011)
- My American Friend (2011 pilot)
- Winx Club: The Secret of the Lost Kingdom (dubbing only) (2012)
- Season 4 (dubbing only) (2012)
- Winx Club 3D: Magical Adventure (dubbing only) (2013)
- Season 5 (2012 - 2013)
- Season 6 (2013 - 2015)
- Season 7 (2015)
- Crazy Block (2018 pilot)
- Club 57 (2019)
- Nickelodeon USA includes regular Nickelodeon, Nicktoons, Nick at Nite, Nick Jr, and the Noggin app.
- Nickelodeon UK includes regular Nickelodeon, Nicktoons, Nick Jr, and Nickelodeon HD.
- Nickelodeon Canada includes regular Nickelodeon and a channel formerly known as Discovery Kids.
- Many international Nickelodeon websites have been combined into one global site.
- Nickelodeon Canada opened up in November 2, 2009 which was the start of Season 4 and did a marathon for it since it just opened up. They also marathoned Season 5.
- The Winx Power Show performed at Nickelodeon's European Kids Choice Awards in 2007.
- ↑ Winx Club, un successo
- ↑ Nickelodeon and Rainbow S.p.A. Announce Global Partnership for Winx Club Animated Series. PR Newswire. September 2, 2010.
- ↑ Stars of Nickelodeon Cast of Winx Club Exclusive Interview Anti Bullying Idance Machine Premiere
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Rainbow and Nickelodeon Partner for Winx Club Season Seven
- ↑ Straffi's Rainbow: Europe's Largest Animation House Has Growing Pains
- ↑ Winx, le fatine fanno il botto
- ↑ Licensing Expo 2019 flyer
- ↑ Record-breaking ratings for Nick's Winx Club
- ↑ Winx Power Show performance
- Click here to visit the South East Asia website.
- Click here to visit the America website.
- Click here to visit the United Kingdom & Ireland website.
- Click here to visit the Canada website.
- Click here to visit the Latin America & Brazil website.
- Click here to visit the Australia & New Zealand website.
- Click here to visit the China & Hong Kong website.
- Click here to visit the Czech Republic website.
- Click here to visit the Denmark website.
- Click here to visit the Finland website.
- Click here to visit the France, Belgium and Switzerland website.
- Click here to visit the Germany, Austria and Switzerland website.
- Click here to visit the Greece website.
- Click here to visit the India website.
- Click here to visit the Israel website.
- Click here to visit the Italy and Switzerland website.
- Click here to visit the Middle East website.