Winx Club Forever
The fifth season of Winx Club premiered on August 26, 2012, on Nickelodeon. The season consists of 26 episodes and concluded its run on September 22, 2013. Season 5 aired in Italy on Rai 2 from October 16, 2012 to April 24, 2013.
The season officially began production after the international media company Viacom became a co-owner of Rainbow. Viacom launched and financed a revival of Winx Club, now produced between Viacom's Nickelodeon Animation Studio and Rainbow. Viacom called their revival an "all-new Winx Club" and a "fresh take on the [Winx] property," rather than a direct continuation of the previous seasons.
Before the official announcement, Iginio Straffi had previously mentioned that a fifth season of the show was planned. At the Licensing Expo 2010 and in a March 2010 interview with Straffi, it was detailed that the season would focus on the "further adventures of the seven magical fairies" as they gained a brand-new ability to choose between fairy forms. This plot was scrapped after the combined Rainbow/Viacom decided to retool the season into a full relaunch of the show.
As confirmed in 2010, Viacom's Nickelodeon Animation Studio co-developed the fifth season. Viacom assembled a team of long-time Nickelodeon writers for the season: Jeff Borkin, Carin Greenberg, Alan Kingsberg, Sarah Jenkins, Sascha Paladino, and Adam Peltzman. Janice Burgess, the key person of Nick Jr., served as creative consultant for the season, just as she did for the Specials. Nickelodeon's producers Sarah Kamen, Jonathan Foss, and Jeannine Hodson also returned from the specials. Peter Zizzo, a Grammy Award-winning songwriter for Nickelodeon, worked with Elisa Rosselli to compose many of the songs for this season.
Just like the following sixth and seventh seasons, Season 5 premiered on Nickelodeon internationally before airing in Italy. It premiered on August 26, 2012 on Nickelodeon USA. In Italy, it premiered on October 16, 2012.
After the thirteenth episode, the show went on a three-month hiatus with new episodes returning on February 17, 2013. A few months later, it went on hiatus yet again in May 2013 after the twenty-third episode with the remaining episodes airing in September 2013. The season concluded in Italy on April 24, 2013 and September 22, 2013 in the USA.
“The Winx Club are back. This time, the Winx will have their journey underwater and will have to face a new dreadful villain, Tritannus. He was a normal triton who was mutated into a powerful monster caused by pollution. His main goal is to rule all the world by entering the Infinite Ocean!
The Believix power is not strong enough underwater, as the Believix wings are useless when they become wet hence the Winx start a challenging quest to get the ancient Sirenix power and become Ocean Fairies.Wonderful sea creatures such as the Selkies will help the fairies in this “Underwater Mission”. Will the Winx manage to save the Magic Dimension? Will they prevent Tritannus from becoming the evil Emperor of the Infinite Ocean?”
- The Spill
- The Rise of Tritannus
- Return to Alfea
- The Sirenix Book
- The Lilo
- The Power of Harmonix
- The Shimmering Shells
- Secret of the Ruby Reef
- The Gem of Empathy
- A Magix Christmas
- Trix Tricks
- Test of Courage
- The Emperor's Throne
- The Pillar of Light
- The Eclipse
- Faraway Reflections
- The Devourer
- The Singing Whales
- The Problems of Love
- A Perfect Date
- Listen to Your Heart
- The Shark's Eye
- Saving Paradise Bay
- Battle for the Infinite Ocean
- The End of Tritannus
- This season is based on oceans and pollution.
- The Trix returned in Season 5 after being absent in the fourth season.
- After being on Earth most of Season 4, the Winx finally return back to Alfea.
- The Winx, once again this season, have new civilian outfits.
- Roxy appeared in the Season 5, but as a minor recurring character.
- "The Lilo" was the fifth episode produced for Season 5, but it is not the proper fifth episode of the main season 5 story arc. "The Lilo" is a stand-alone episode, which both Nickelodeon and Rainbow agreed was the episode chosen to use to launch Season 5. Despite this, "The Lilo" was aired as the fifth episode in Italy.
- Along with "The Lilo", "A Magix Christmas" is also a stand-alone episode and is not counted in the continuity in USA, as the narrator introduced "Trix Tricks" as the episode after "The Gem of Empathy". Despite this, "A Magix Christmas" is still the tenth episode.
- Several characters that appeared from seasons 1 to 4 (including the movies) all appeared in this season.
- Each Winx's home world was seen.
- The monarchs of the home worlds of the Winx were all seen.
- Tecna's home world, Zenith, finally making its debut after being mention from the first season.
- This season also takes place where Season 4 leaves off with the Wizards of the Black Circle defeated and are frozen solid in the Omega Dimension.
- This season strongly focuses on the sisterhood of Daphne and Bloom; unlike previous seasons that focused on Bloom's search for her birth parents (Season 1 - 3 and first movie) and Roxy (Season 4).
- The Pixies are neither seen nor mentioned in this season.
- This will be the first season of Winx Club to feature two openings: a 2D opening for the first twelve episodes and a 3D opening for the remaining fourteen episodes.
- This is the first season to have spells released from the leg.
- This is the second season to use flash animation with the first being Season 4.
- This is the first season to use both flash animation and CGI animation.
- This is also the first season to be in a 16:9 aspect ratio (HD).
- This is the second season in which the Winx earn multiple Fairy Forms, with the first being Season 4, the third being Season 6, and the fourth being Season 7.
- This is the first of these seasons in which the Winx earn two Fairy Forms, with the second being Season 6 and the third being Season 7.