The eighth season of Winx Club premiered on April 15, 2019, on Rai YoYo in Italy. The season consists of 26 episodes and concluded its run on September 17, 2019. The English episodes started airing on Nickelodeon Asia on January 8, 2020. The season serves as a soft reboot of the show and presents a changed animation style and character designs.
In 2015, Iginio Straffi, the creator of Winx Club, said that an eighth season would be written but was not in production yet. No details were officially announced until 2018, when it was revealed at the Russia Licensing World Exhibition on February 27 that the eighth season's premiere would not be until 2019.
Many behind-the-scenes changes were made before the eighth season entered production. Most of the essential crew members from previous seasons were not called back for this season. When asked if she would be continuing in the eighth season, Elisa Rosselli (singer for almost every Winx song since 2007) stated in an interview, "No, I didn't get a call." This season is also the first without involvement from art director Simone Borselli, who was responsible for the finalized character models used through season 7. Secondly, Nickelodeon's American staff members moved to a consultant role for season 8, rather than writing the episodes directly as they had before. This is because the Nick team was busy working with Rainbow and Straffi on a new co-production called Club 57 instead. Straffi himself also stepped away from focusing on the Winx Club series for this season, as he wished to focus on Club 57 and other live-action projects.
For this season, the series was rebooted with a new target audience of preschool children, and the show was moved to the Rai YoYo preschool channel in Italy. The characters were restyled visually to appear younger, which would better appeal to the show's new demographic. In a 2019 interview, Iginio Straffi explained why he had chosen to gradually lower the show's intended audience over the years:
“In the last ten years, the animation audience has skewed younger. Nowadays, it's very difficult to get a 10-year-old to watch cartoons... The fans of the previous Winx Club say on social media that the new seasons are childish, but they don't know that we had to do that.”
At the Las Vegas Licensing Expo 2018, it was revealed that the season would mark the return of the most popular fairy transformations, Butterflix, Sirenix, and Enchantix. Afterward, a clip from the season was shown at the Brand Licensing Europe, in London, UK on October 9, 2018. Later, the first two episodes of the season premiered at the International Rome Film Festival on October 20, 2018 to celebrate the Winx's 15th anniversary.
It was later mentioned by Straffi that the season would premiere in February 2019. Production stalled and the premiere was postponed to Spring 2019, while the trailer premiered on January 27, 2019. In the following days, Rai YoYo showcased a small clip of the season. During the 2019 Nuremberg International Toy Fair, another trailer from the season was showcased. Later on March 7, 2019, the one-hundred and eightieth issue of the Winx Club Comic Series revealed that the season would premiere in Mid-April 2019 on Rai YoYo.
During the Russia Licensing World Exhibition on March 12, 2019, merchandise of the new season was shown. On March 20, 2019, it was mentioned that second part of the eighth season was scheduled for Autumn 2019. On March 25, 2019, a promo of the eighth season mentioned the season would premiere soon on Rai YoYo. On the next day, Rai YoYo revealed that the eighth season would officially premiere on April 15, 2019 from Sunday to Friday at 8.25 pm and a brief synopsis of the season was also released.
On April 6, 2019, the episode titles from the second half of the season were revealed. On the same day, the one-hundred and eighty first issue of the Winx Club Comic Series revealed that the season would premiere every day starting April 15, 2019 at 5:15pm and 8:30pm on Rai YoYo.
On July 19, 2019, the first look of the redesigned Enchantix was revealed on the Winx Club's Instagram account and later its transformation sequences was released onto the official channel. On the same day, Rai YoYo announced that the second half would premiere on July 29, 2019 at 6.10 pm . Later on July 23, 2019, during the Rainbow Day event, the fourteenth and fifteenth episode of the season premiered at the Giffoni Film Festival.
After the nineteenth episode, the series went into another hiatus until on September 11, 2019, where the broadcast resumed on Rai YoYo with the twentieth episode. The season finale premiered on September 17, 2019, thus concluding the season overall in Italy.
“The Winx fairies embark on a cosmic adventure that will lead them to the farthest reaches of the Magic Universe to save the stars themselves.”
“One by one, all the stars in the sky are mysteriously going out, gradually throwing the various worlds of the Magic Universe into darkness. And it looks like Valtor’s comeback is behind this terrible threat...”
“It's the night of the shooting stars on Magix and the Winx are ready for a magic party at Alfea. But a little creature called Twinkly reaches them after a long journey, bringing an urgent message: they are the only ones who can save the stars!
Following their little new friend, the Winx will set off on a cosmic adventure guided by the Lumens, creatures that generate magic stardust. Thanks to them, the six fairies will get a new amazing light-based transformation to fight against unpredictably mysterious threats that are endangering the Magic Universe.Will they beat the shadows that loom over the stars? And who is hiding behind all this?”
“All the stars of the sky are mysteriously going out one by one, gradually throwing the various worlds of the Magic Universe into darkness. And it seems that Valtor's return is hidden behind this terrible threat. In Winx Club Season 8, the fairies of Alfea will travel to a new planet called Lumenia, where the queen will entrust them with the power of Cosmix, to protect the stars of the Magic Universe. With them, there will also be a lovely new friend, a Lumen (a magical star-shaped creature) from this planet. In addition to Cosmix, it seems that in the new series, some catchphrases from the previous seasons will return, including a new version of Sirenix and Enchantix. And of course, as we have already said, there will be the great return of one of the historical enemies that Bloom and her companions have already defeated in the past, or the evil Valtor.”
- Night of the Stars
- A Kingdom of Lumens
- Attack on the Core
- Orion's Secret
- Doom of the Lighthouse Star
- Trapped on Prometia
- Into the Depths of Andros
- The Light of Gorgol
- Hydra Awakens
- Treasures of Syderia
- Surprise Party on Earth
- Valtor's Shadow
- The Wishing Star
- Mission for the Prime Stars
- The Sparx Festival
- Dress Fit for a Queen
- Valley of the Flying Unicorns
- Tower Beyond the Clouds
- The Green Heart of Lynphea
- Dance Contest on Melody
- The Secret of Harmony
- Between the Earth and the Sea
- Dyamond on Ice
- The White Fox
- Written in the Stars
- Despite Season 6 being confirmed by Iginio Straffi to take place in "space," Season 8 is the first true space-themed season.
- Season 6 was rumored to be a space-themed season beforehand.
- The tagline for this season is "spread the magic".
- This season is based on space and stars.
- In this season:
- New graphics and styleguides were featured.
- According to Francesco Artibani: "The character models were revised and simplified so that the young audience could associate themselves with them. That was the main goal... Therefore, because of this, the characters lost their adult appearance."
- Old transformations, Sirenix and Enchantix, return.
- New graphics and styleguides were featured.
- Along with Season 7, this season displays multiple Fairy Forms:
- Sirenix/Crystal Sirenix
- The first two episodes of Season 8 premiered at the International Rome film Festival on October 20, 2018 to celebrate the Winx's 15th anniversary.
- Despite two episodes being announced to premiere on the same day, only fragments of the episodes were shown at the Festival.
- This is the first season to be co-produced by Rai Ragazzi.
- While counting down to the eighth season's premiere, the Winx Club Instagram released teasers of #15reasonstowatchwinx8 on their account throughout March and April. The reasons are:
- Reason 1: Riven's return
- Reason 2: Valtor's comeback
- Reason 3: Winx emojis
- Reason 4: A new character, Orion
- Reason 5: Knut's return
- Reason 6: Winx concerts
- Reason 7: Magic lessons and Winx back in class
- Reason 8: Specialists' return
- Reason 9: Trix's return
- Reason 10: Winx's parents comeback
- Reason 11: Tons of transformations, new and old
- Reason 12: Bloom & Sky major relationship crisis
- Reason 13: Icy's secret
- Reason 14: Diaspro's intervention
- Reason 15: Back to the origins
- Songs from the previous Winx Club seasons and World of Winx can be heard as background music in the season.
- This is the first season to be animated in the modern flash animation style.
- Besides the Winx, other characters tend to have a makeover or change of wardrobe based on the changes of the new animation style. Some characters might also have a different color palette compared to those in the previous seasons.
- This is the first season to be dubbed by 3Beep.
- This is the last season to air in the 2010s decade.
- Along with PopPixie and World of Winx, this is the only season which does not include an album for the soundtracks.
- Season 8 became available on Netflix in Australia on April 14, 2020 and the UK, Ireland and New Zealand on April 15, 2020.