He has dark brown hair light brown highlights, fair skin and coral blue eyes.
- In Season 7, he is wearing a white polo shirt with sleeves that reach his wrists and the collar is folded. Over it he wears a maroon dress vest with lighter details and khaki pants. He's wearing brown colored shoes.
- In the comics, he wears a red shirt with a white folded collar and white sleeves rolled just below his elbows. He has dark green pants with a lavender belt and a golden buckle, and white sneakers with dark green sides.
Thoren wears a red uniform which has a yellow, oval-shaped gem in the middle.
Unlike his more active and headstrong cousin, Thoren seems more gentle, calm and passive. He is also revealed to be more skittish than Sky as he was easily scared as a child. While Sky came to hate him for an incident during their childhood, Thoren grew envious of Sky for his more daring heroism and his ability to act accordingly. Due to this, Thoren formed a small grudge against Sky as he began viewing himself as a coward so, to rectify this, Thoren started becoming helpful towards as many people as he could, even those he barely knew. Additionally, he does not do so simply to feel more like a hero either; Thoren seems to genuinely want to help others and can be very friendly to those he does help and want to get to know better.
Thoren has grown from his time as a scared little kid as he will also jump into battle when he feels he is needed. As much as Sky believed otherwise, Thoren holds a sense of duty and justice close to his, like when he reminded Sky of how he would stay and fight the Treants when they were terrorizing Linphea College. Thoren's desire to help people can also make him naive as he carried Bloom to the Vortex of Flames after being told that it would help heal her by Diaspro, unaware of her deep-seated grudge against Bloom. Upon learning of Diaspro's true intentions, Thoren became enraged as not only was he tricked into doing so but, if Bloom falling into the Vortex of Flames meant her death, it would go against his strong set of morals.
Like all Paladins from Linphea College, Thoren has been taught fighting tactics. He had been trained to utilize aircrafts and vehicles. Unlike the Specialists in Red Fountain, Thoren is given a magical weapon, the Earthquake Hammer that has the power to generate seismic waves. These seismic waves can be released on the ground (or in open air) that tear into the earth, either disorientate their balance and knock them off their feet.
- Thoren's name and appearance might have been inspired by Thor, the God of Thunder, Lightning and Storms of Norse mythology, who wields a magical hammer named Mjölnir as his weapon.
- Alternatively, Thoren might have been inspired by the Marvel Comics superhero Thor, who is a re-imagination of the Norse God Thor as a superhero and who also uses the magical hammer Mjolnir as his weapon
- His name may also be a based on Thorin Oakenshield, a King of the Dwarves from J.R.R. Tolkien's book The Hobbit.
- The name Thorin is itself an Old Norse language name representing the God Thor.
- He is the second male character to get married after Jason Queen.
- Thoren's Nickelodeon voice actor, Charlie Schlatter, also voices Timmy, Hagen and Jason Queen.
- Thoren's Italian voice actor, Alessio De Filippis, also voices Ruben from Club 57, which is another show produced by Rainbow S.r.l. and Iginio Straffi.